- Group size: max 4
- Location: Brooms Head, NSW (map)
- Fitness Level: Low. Some short walking and rock hopping required.
- Terrain: rocks, beach, dunes.
What You Can Expect
Suitable for all skill levels and types of cameras, this workshop will take you to some of the most photogenic spots in Yamba and nearby Angourie on the beautiful north coast of NSW. The workshops are limited to 4 participants to maximise the amount of teaching time you receive, and to make the experience fun, friendly and informal.
Throughout the day I’ll work directly with you, helping you with your camera settings, composing a shot, and suggesting changes and creative ideas. As a starting point we will cover the following topics:
- the ‘Exposure Triangle’: ISO, aperture, shutter speed and their relationship
- your camera’s different modes: Aperture priority, Shutter priority, Manual mode explained
- exposure: how to make and assess a good exposure
- focusing: how to get your images sharply in focus
- composition: understanding what makes good composition, learning to see how the camera sees
- lighting: making the most of available light, dealing with ‘difficult’ light
- location planning: using available tools to decide where and when to photograph
- filter usage: how to use different filters to create different aesthetics
- creative approaches: understand the many available options to use your camera to achieve a more artistic result.
This list is by no means exhaustive. I will chat to you about your photographic needs ahead of the day so that we can cover any additional topics, or to focus in on what is most troubling you. My experience and knowledge are completely yours for the day, so feel free to ask any questions you like.
Timing-wise the workshop involves two sessions, with the option of a third post-processing session. The first session will take place on Saturday afternoon and evening, as we experience several locations in the changing and improving light as we approach sunset. We’ll have an early start on the Sunday morning for a sunrise shoot. Facing we will be in a great position for the sun rising over the horizon. You will observes the very different light between the two different sessions, and an understanding that the best light is often away from where the sun is.
The third session is offered as an upgrade to those wishing to develop their post-processing skills using Adobe Lightroom. This 4 hour session based at my home studio in Yamba will involve a critique of the photographs you made during the two prior sessions, showing you the full workflow necessary to take an image from import to finished article.
This is very popular workshop offers something for everyone and is sure to be a huge help in your photographic development.
Here are a few comments from past workshop attendees:
Still not sure? Here’s what some past attendees had to say about the experience:
“I’d thoroughly recommend Duncan’s workshops – our trip was a memorable experience. Duncan has a great knowledge of the areas he takes you to and an infectious enthusiasm for his chosen location.”
“He is patient and encouraging and his experience of capturing the detail in moving water/cascades/falls helped us to see what he looked for and how it could make a great image.”
“Small groups ensure that everyone gets quality time and guidance – we each came back with images we were very pleased with… and a hankering to go somewhere again soon to try out the techniques and observations.”